Haryana Election 2019: UK-Educated 27-Yr-Old, BJP’s Bet

Nauksham faces a stiff challenge from Cong’s Mohammad Iliyas, who won Punhana seat in Haryana’s Mewat in 2009

Mewat: Twenty-seven-year-old Nauksham Chaudhary, the BJP candidate for the Punhana seat in Haryana’s Mewat district, has the kind of resume that is unheard of when it comes to election contenders in the region. A History graduate from Delhi University’s prestigious Miranda House college, she has a Master’s Degree in Luxury Brand Management from Italy and in Communications from London. She faces the challenge of winning the seat for the BJP in the Muslim-dominated district where the party has a poor track record.

Chaudhary’s father is a retired judge and her mother is a senior official in the Haryana government’s Revenue Department. Chaudhary returned to India just a month ago and said she was drawn to politics to spur development in the area.

“I had an excellent career in the private sector where I would be serving as a public relations executive for the biggest brands of the world. This shift happened because this is my paternal area. It is underdeveloped and backward. And politically, the scenario is such that criticism is on basis of religion and leaders tend to exploit the masses. I want to work for women empowerment in the area and for education. My parents have taught me with the values that in order to do anything good in life, you need to be educated,” she said.

For the BJP, the seat is tough to crack. Punhana falls in the Muslim-dominated Mewat district which has about 5 lakh voters. Around 80 per cent of the voters are Muslims and the remaining 20 per cent are Hindus. In 2014 Haryana assembly elections, despite the BJP’s nationwide surge powered by PM Modi’s popularity, the party couldn’t even manage second place in any of the three assembly seats of Mewat.

“The common people here have understood that it is the BJP which is forming the government both at national and state levels and they’ve understood that if they want development and any representation in the Vidhan Sabha, they will have to choose BJP.”

About new candidate
Nauksham Chaudhary is the BJP candidate in Haryana’s Punhana seat
History graduate from Miranda House, did Master’s in Italy and London
Her father is a retired judge, mother works in Haryana Revenue Department

Hero in publicity, zero in work, says Ghulam Nabi Azad

Chandigarh: Mocking the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre, LoP in Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad said the party was a “hero in publicity and zero in work.” “We are hero in work, zero in publicity. But the other party (BJP) is hero in publicity and zero in work,” Azad told reporters. The Congress leader was in Chandigarh for the release of the party manifesto for the October 21 Assembly polls.

“Their work is on TV but our work is on the ground. We will work for the youth, the poor, and the common man,” he said. “We will provide widows, disabled, divorced & unmarried women with a pension of Rs 5,100 per month. We will also provide people of the transgender community with a Rs. 5,100 pension per month,” he said.

Congress Manifesto: Congress released its manifesto for the Haryana assembly polls, promising loan waiver for farmers & reservation for women in govt jobs. Describing it as ‘Sankalp Patra,’ the party in manifesto promised 33% reservation to women in government jobs & private institutions & free rides in Haryana roadways buses. The party also promised 50% reservation for women in Panchayati Raj institution and city councils.